14 kms north east of Rawalpindi on the north eastern fringe of the Potohar plateau of the province of Punjab.
Northern latitudes 33o 49' and longtitudes 72o 24' east of Greenwhich.
Lying at altitudes ranging from 457 to 610 metres.
The area of Islamabad is 906.50 square kilometres. A further 3626 square kilometres area is known as the Specified Area, with the Margala Hills in the north and northeast.
Islamabad city is divided into five major zones: Zone I, Zone II, Zone III, Zone IV, & Zone V. Zone IV is the largest in area while Zone I is the largest developed residential area. Zone 1 is divided into sectors. Each residential sector is identified by a letter of the alphabet and a number, and covers an area of approximately 2 km × 2 km.
|Total Area||906.50 sq. km|
|Islamabad Urban Area||220.15 sq. km|
|Islamabad Rural Area||466.20 sq. km|
|Islamabad Park||220.15 sq. km|
Islamabad features an atypical version of a humid subtropical climate, with hot, humid summers accompanied by a monsoon season followed by cool winters.
|Seasons||Avg. High||Avg. Low|
|Winter (Oct-Mar)||16.6 oC||3.4 oC|
|Summer (Apr-Sept)||34.2 oC||24.4 oC|
|Year Average||28.5 oC||14.1 oC|
Average yearly rainfall 1143 milimetres.
Average yearly humidity: 55%
- Islamabad is Pakistan's most diverse metropolis in terms of the population makeup of the city
- It has the largest expatriate and foreigner population in the city. The reasons are simple: its inviting and reasonably temperate climate, its lush green scenery and excellent basic infrastructure
- The city is also a stopping point for tourists who desire to proceed to the Northern Areas of the country for trekking, hiking, adventure sports and mountaineering
- Since the city has been growing into a major business and commerce centre, it has attracted a large highly skilled workforce from other major cities including Karachi, Lahore and Quetta
- All of the country's diplomatic ties are maintained and exercised from Islamabad, as all major embassies, consulates and missions are operating from the city, as is the Foreign Office